Wednesday, December 30, 2009

In all, Worship, and Serve.

I'm looking at this scrapbooking blog., and I'm just thinking to myself, This lady has developed a following of over 1500 readers, simply because she took her talent and interest and presented it to the public through a (free) avenue--her blog. She's probably been scrapbooking as a normal thing in her life, and now, because she stepped out there and decided to do something more with it, she's developed a real niche for herself. Something to focus on, something to be proud of, to make her husband see that, yes I've been crafting in my little corner, but look at this--other people care too. 1500+ people. I think that's pretty amazing.

I guess I'm having a little trouble developing the confidence in my hobbies that I would like to have. I would like to be more proud of the ways I spend my time, to not feel like I'm not accomplishing anything. Housework can certainly make you feel like it's not an accomplishment, considering that even though you pour your all into it, it needs to be done yet again within like a week or two. And while I love scrapbooking and papercrafts, it's definitely not bringin in any money, nor is it really reaching other people.

Perhaps there is a way to live out the Kingdom through scrapbooking. The first thing I think of is to invite people over, to use crafts as a medium to build relationships and to talk/share with others. Also, perhaps it can even become a ministry of sorts. I can see it now, "The Way's Scrapbooking Ministry will be meeting this Saturday at noon. Bring your pictures, your albums, and all your scraps for an afternoon of creativity, tea and coffee. Let's create memories together!" I mean, that's how ministry is suposed to work. God has given us talents and gifts so that they may be used for the furthering of His kingdom. I think back to a girl, Jenny, who I studied abroad with in Costa Rica. She worked with some other Christians there as part of a Surfing Ministry. She loved surfing, wanted community, so why not use it to reach others?

The other thing is that while I'm scrapbooking, I worship. Scrapbook pages are a celebration of what God has done in our lives. When I look at pictures and relive memories, I'm able to reflect on how God has blessed me in a way that the rip-and-run pace of life does not accommodate. I'm able to meditate on how He's given me family, love, joy, bountiful blessings that I couldn't even imagine years ago. I'm living the life that He has promised, and I wouldn't have it any other way. So, perhaps through making it a comittment to listen to worship music and offer prayers to God through my creations, scrapbooking will help establish and further the Kingdom in my heart and ultimately allow my gratitude and God's glory to flow through me to others more concretely.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! You are super talented in your writing skills. You have really inspired me! I hope that God helps you with your Ministry, Obviously its already in your heart and I know that he put it there, put it to use baby girl! I love your writing and will be following your blog for more inspiring and heartfelt words.

    Love Myia!

    ReplyDelete