Thursday, December 17, 2009

Crafts Galore

I'm on this really strong craft binge right now. It started with the scrapbooking. Then it was crocheting, (which didn't go too far). Then I got excited about doing a puzzle. But I bought a 1,000 piece one and didn't have the patience to finish it. We did about 100 pieces before I had to go get one of those puzzle mats that let you roll up what you're doing and come back to it when convenient.

Nevertheless, here lately, with the holiday season, my creative spark has reignited. As a result, I embarked on a dazzling array of projects: front door wreath, garlands, 50+ christmas cards, handmade Christmas gifts for our neighbors, complete with intricately handmade tags, and photo frame gifts. It's very exciting.

I've always had an affinity for crafting. I've tried my hand at a number of activities throughout the years: latch hook rugs, sewing with Grandma, origami (on a very amateur level), painting picture frames, a teensy dab of cross-stitching, and, of course, some painting (watercolor, mostly).

But the cool thing is, now I've got the freedom and resources to actually build on my crafty inclinations. With working part-time, having a daughter, trying to save money (on gifts, home decor, and the rest), and trying to be as resourceful as possible by reusing what we already have, crafting comes as a natural hobby worth loving. During the Black Friday sales, I was able to snag a nifty $99 craft cart for about 30 bucks. Complete with drawers and about 20 compartments for all my pens & little embellishments, it's a dream come true. It even has little ribbon spindles on the side!

So with that, I'm in the process of reorganizing our kitchen to accommodate these little treasures. While doing so, I posted on my fb that I was looking for organization supplies. One fb friend responds, "The Container Store is great!" Ha! Container Store my foot! The stuff they sell is priced at least 3x what it's probably worth. More like Ikea's $2 magazine holders. That's my kind of deal. I really love how it's all coming together. Slowly, but surely!

It's funny how I'm able to come up with craft ideas and inspiration even without cable TV or spending lots of money on books. Between At Home with Lisa Quinn, which comes on LiveWellHD channel 7-2 (thanks, DTV!), She's Crafty, which comes on some obscure dtv channel but I guess is aired in Canada, and of course, the big mamma jamma--the internet, complete with YouTube and a host of great idea sites, I've got all I need to be on a creative roll! I've been soaking up sites like:

http://www.designspongeonline.com
wonderful craft projects, modern, easy-to-follow directions, clear pictures. The site authors are funny, speak to the audience directly, so I've grown "familiar" with this site.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ inspiration for home decor, diy projects. Some ideas are a little too avant garde for me, but I still like browsing the posts and pics.

http://photojojo.com/ I recently discovered this site (thnks to lisa quinn), but I've already fallen in love with it. Hands down the best photo projects I've ever seen. Nifty tools and ideas that reveal the creators' creativity. Love, love the ideas, the pictures, the uniqueness of the projects they've posted. Just all-around cool.

Finally, I just want to say Thank You, Lord, for bringing me this far. I remember when I didn't even have a place to keep any of my belongings. I also remember the precious times I got to share with Grandma while I was a child & pre-teen. We'd take countless trips to Hancock Fabrics and the other craft store nearby it. She'd let me pick out which patterns I wanted to work on: mostly shorts, simple skirts and a couple times, some really hard dresses that I'd need serious help from her on. She'd also continuously support my decisions to try something new. Even if it was something she'd never worked with before and that she didn't know if I'd actually follow-through with, she still bought me the supplies and gave me the space to create. I am eternally grateful for that. I believe that's what gave me the confidence to pick this back up now, with hopes of making things that show thoughtfulness, love and effort.

It is my prayer that Grandma's very best would continue to live on through me and the things I create. It is also my prayer that Sarai (and subsequent children) would love crafts, emanate creativity, and embrace projects with passion and humble gratitude. I hope that my family will look forward to creating things together and see arts and crafts as an opportunity to discover and share their hearts and selves with others. I'm thankful that the times of lack I've experienced have birthed within me the qualities of resourcefulness, gratitude, and a strong resolve to make the most of what I have. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment